Skip to main content

The age of AI and how that is helping me as a teacher.

At the bottom, same text, but revised by AI. Which do you prefer?

There is no way to escape it. AI is here and it is changing the way we do things. It's changing how our brain words and it will make a huge impact in our lives. It is your choice to decide if the change is going to be beneficial or harmful.

I chose it to be beneficial and I will tell you how.

It's with no doubt, that AI is helping teachers all over the world, helping them save time when planning their lessons, when they need to differentiate a text to suit the level of their learners, designing worksheet and even analyzing data and writing reports.

As a teacher, I use AI everyday to do simple tasks to me, as revising an email response and sometimes drafting it. I give Copilot the standards, skills, content and unit overview, and I ask it to outline a 20 lesson unit following a specific approach that we follow in our school. I then revise this outline and ask it to expand each lesson into the 3 steps structure we use. I ask it to elaborate the scaffolding that I can use to guide my students that need more support reach the learning outcomes. I tell it specifically not to just differentiate by amount, but I ask it to make the learning accessible to all learners. I am starting to use some Universal Design for Learning, but AI still needs to learn a bit more about it. 

During my holidays, I tried some different approach and it got me dazzled. Using Canva, I got a set of slides ready. It was a daily morning routine. 3 slides each day. One for the day of the week, with the date, a greeting and a sharing for the day. Next, a question of the day. And the third had a word of the day and a simple mathematical problem.

Then I asked AI to produce a 14 week set, updating the date and making new slides for the second and third ones. In 15 minutes, I had checked all of it and in around 1 hour, I had a full set of slides that I can use everyday for a whole term with my Year 2 students, engaging them in talking, thinking and using language and doing a simple maths problem to start off the day. If I had to do that manually, it would have taken me at least 12 hours. If I managed to get to flow state of working.

I also had the help of AI to produce a series of materials for teachers to use in their literacy lessons. Two different materials. One, is a set of decodables, based on a synthetic phonics program and according to the Science of Reading research. Using my experience as a teacher, I designed the scope and sequence and had AI producing the material based on my input. I have a whole set of simple books for emergent readers to develop their reading skills and engage in reading text that is suitable for their skills and follows their progress. The sequence merges UFLI, Jolly Phonics and Floppy's Phonics programs. I have a free-trial set that is available here (https://chk.eduzz.com/8WPNDE5N0P)

The other resource is to be used before the decodables, as a foundation, to enable learners to build their phonological and phonemic skills, practicing oral skills that will be so needed when they start reading and writing in the future. It is the Ready to Listen. A 10-15 minute script that should be used daily to promote language awareness and manipulation, going from word recognition, to syllables, to segmenting and blending. Send me a message if you are interested - bilingualmusiceducation@gmail.com

And if you need help with using AI or any other literacy related resources, please, let me know. I would love to read your comments on this and also, how AI is helping your life as a teacher.

See you soon!


Here is a polished and refined version of your text, keeping your voice and personal experience intact while improving flow, grammar, clarity, and readability:

There is no way to escape it: AI is here, and it is changing the way we work and live. It is reshaping how our minds operate, and its impact on our daily lives will be profound. Ultimately, it’s up to each of us to decide whether that change is beneficial or harmful.

I choose to make it beneficial—and here’s how.

Without a doubt, AI is empowering teachers worldwide by saving precious time during lesson planning, text differentiation, worksheet design, data analysis, and report writing.

As a teacher, I rely on AI every day for routine tasks, such as drafting or refining email responses. Beyond that, I use Microsoft Copilot for deep lesson planning: I input our curriculum standards, key skills, content, and unit overviews, and ask it to outline a 20-lesson unit following our school's framework. After reviewing the outline, I have it expand each lesson into our 3-step lesson structure and elaborate on specific scaffolding techniques for students who need extra support. I always prompt it to differentiate meaningfully—not just by adjusting workload, but by making learning truly accessible to all students. (I’ve also begun incorporating Universal Design for Learning (UDL), though AI still has a bit to learn there!)

During my holidays, I tried a new approach that blew me away. I created a set of morning routine slides in Canva: three slides per day featuring date/greetings/daily shares, a question of the day, and a word of the day paired with a simple math problem. I then asked AI to generate a full 14-week set, automatically updating dates and creating new content for the second and third slides. In just 15 minutes of review and about an hour of total setup, I had a complete, ready-to-use slide deck for an entire term with my Year 2 students. It keeps them talking, thinking, using language, and solving math problems right at the start of the day. Doing that manually would have taken me at least 12 hours—and that’s assuming a completely uninterrupted flow state!

AI also helped me create two series of literacy resources grounded in research:

  1. Decodable Books: Designed according to the Science of Reading research and a synthetic phonics approach. Drawing on my teaching experience, I created the scope and sequence, blending elements from UFLI, Jolly Phonics, and Floppy's Phonics. AI helped generate the text, resulting in a full series of simple books that support emergent readers at their exact developmental stage. You can access a free trial set here.

  2. Ready to Listen: A foundational resource used prior to decodables to build crucial phonological and phonemic awareness. It provides a daily 10–15 minute script focused on oral skill development—guiding students from word recognition to syllables, segmenting, and blending. (Send me a message if you are interested!)

If you need support using AI in your teaching or want to explore literacy resources, please reach out! I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments and learn how AI is supporting your journey as an educator.

See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategic Planning.

When planning, one thing we must think about is where we want to be at the end. Once we know our destination, we can plan how to get there. To plan the journey, we need to understand where we are starting from. You might think I’m talking about planning lessons and teaching our students, right? Actually, no. I’m thinking about you, teachers. If you're not happy with your current job, it's time to make a change. You need to plan for this change. No one should just jump into new adventures without planning. That would be careless. So, let's go back to the beginning and think again. If you find it hard to go to work, if you don’t want to get out of bed to face your boss or that difficult colleague, or if you're tired of using the same workbook again, you should look at what’s wrong. Why is this happening? The first step is to think about where you would like to be. What is the perfect scenario that would make you get out of bed happily and go to work? Write it down, say it...

15 songs right here, right now!

  I know how difficult it is when your coordinator or director comes to you saying that you will have to change your whole planning and the way you plan to a new methodology or teaching philosophy… You just think right away that all you had planned and taught until that moment will become rubbish.  When someone comes and proposes that directly, or tries to sell you a new course, in a way, your brain takes the same path. Unless you already know a lot about what the other one is trying to sell, you will most likely try to divert from it. You won’t buy it. With that in mind, I want to propose one thing to you, that don’t know a lot about my work yet, to get to know it. Because, yes! I want you to change your lessons so you are less overwhelmed, but I would never consider your experience and previous teaching rubbish. I know how much you already know and how much effort you’ve put into becoming the teacher you are now. So I thought that an ebook, with 15 songs accompanied by strat...

Dear teacher

  Dear teacher You are probably back in the classroom a few days now and I bet you already thought that you need ideas to make your students more engaged in the lessons, that they don’t focus when you are giving them the instructions, that they are not learning the content you are sharing with them, etc. I am not going to promise you a magic trick that will make them do all that, but what I can do is help you understand how to change some things about your routine in the classroom and as a result, those things will most likely cease to happen. As Eric Jensen, Ph.D. says, “Using music is an excellent way to influence or change the states of your students, to help with those transitions, or bring them back from a break and let them know it is time to start something new.” When I moved from music teacher to classroom teacher, one thing that I struggled a lot with was to have my students transitioning between tasks without having to tell them a hundred times what to do and where to go....